** This post contains affiliate links. I am compensated for purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you.
This will be my third year running Ragnar Del Sol and my fourth Ragnar race overall, so I’d like to think I know what I’m doing now when it comes to packing. If you’re a newbie looking for guidance on what to pack, here’s what’s I’ve thrown in my duffel bag the past couple of years.
- Bring three different running outfits in three separate one-gallon Ziplock bags. That means three of everything: sports bras, socks, shorts, shirts, etc. Label each as Leg 1, Leg 2 and Leg 3. Mornings in the desert can still be chilly, so wear something to keep you warm when not running.
- Running shoes.
- Energy gels or drinks. (Or whatever method you use.)
- Extra pair of shoes for when you’re done running, such as flipflops.
- Headlamp, taillight and reflective vest. Pack your reflective gear and lights in the bag for your overnight run(s).
- Headbands, bobby pins and hair ties, if needed.
- First-aid kit and/or any prescription or over-the-counter drugs you may need. I also bring Icy Hot.
- Wet wipes. Use them to clean yourself after each run if you can’t shower.
- Earbuds and armband.
- Toiletries such as shampoo and facewash if you plan to do any of that.
- Toothpaste, toothbrush, mouthwash and floss.
- If you wear contacts, bring an extra pair. Or bring your glasses.
- Costume and accessories that fit your team’s theme.
- Yoga mat.
- Foam roller — at least one of you should bring one to share.
- A towel if you plan to shower.
- Blanket or sleeping bag.
- Small pillow.
- Paint pens for writing on other vans.
- Optional: Magnets to tag vans, team shirts and glow-in-the-dark necklaces or bracelets.
- Salt and vinegar chips.
- Peanut butter and bagels.
- Bananas. (And other fruit.)
- Crackers and cheese.
- Veggie tray with hummus.
- Protein bars.
*I am compensated for clicks and purchases through affiliate shopping links.