Today we are celebrating Graham’s birthday! In his honor, I’m sharing some of our best memories together. This is also sort of a reintroduction to our marriage for any new readers around here. Tip: I find that giving someone a list of your favorite qualities about them, your favorite memories or similar thoughts can be a sentimental and cherished birthday present. I just started a journal that I plan to write in every day (or as often as possible) and give it to the person (hint, hint) when it’s full.
My favorite memories with my husband Graham:
- Our first camping trip to Fossil Creek in Arizona. We had only been together a month or so (unofficially), but we took the leap of faith that is camping together for the first time. During one of our hikes I hit my head on a broken tree branch and cut my forehead. Having to stop blood from gushing out of someone’s head could have put a stop to any new relationship, but luckily we laughed it off and I didn’t need stitches. This is one of my favorite memories because it was the start of our many outdoor adventures, and because our dog Taylor (back then she was his dog) was with us. She loved swimming in Fossil Creek.
- Visiting Maui for the first time. That’s when Hawaii became one of our favorite places and why we chose it as our wedding destination.
- Adopting Victoria.
- Our proposal at Desert Botanical Garden and then celebrating on a trip to Page (Horseshoe Bend) and Payson with our dogs.
- Our wedding in Maui and the entire weeklong trip with family and friends, followed by our honeymoon on the Big Island.
- Deciding that we wanted to pursue Graham’s new opportunity in Chicago and then spending the next 11 days or so packing and moving. We drove across the country with our two dogs and made it to the city just in time for a new season.
- Taking a private boat ride down the Pacuare River in Costa Rica, stopping to see the monkeys, sloths, caiman, birds, and other animals along the way. Then losing our GoPro later on that trip and getting our images and video back a year and a half later thanks to the power of the Internet!
- Witnessing the magical Cubs 2016 season, riding in the World Series Parade, attending the World Series Gala and taking photos with the trophy. Watching my love receive his ring.
- Our last camping trip (to Nordhouse Dunes in Michigan) with Taylor before she died.
- Finding out I am pregnant. And soon it will be welcoming our second daughter into the world!
What are your favorite travel, relationship or family memories? Do you like to give sentimental gifts?