I decided to officially start marathon training last week when I got an email from my half-marathon training coaches that they are also doing a training for the Chicago Marathon. They only charged $26! That’s practically giving it away. I signed up immediately.
But things didn’t quite go as planned:
Monday: 1.34 miles at Orangetheory. It was a good workout on a terrible day. My mind was so all over the place that I don’t remember much of the floor workout, besides:
- Plank jacks
- Bicep 21s
- 800-meter row
- Bench hopovers (not sure this was the actual name; 3 sets of 30 total reps)
- Horizontal bicep curls on the TRX strap (3 sets of 8 reps, I think)
- Side plank hip dips (3 sets of 8 reps on each side)
- 3-minute row (714 meters)
- 2-minute row (494 meters)
- Reverse lunges to high knee jumps on TRX straps (3 sets, reps: 8/10/12 on each side, I think)
- Chest press on bench with 15 pound weights (3 sets, 15 reps)
I didn’t even get to 5 miles, so I am not even considering this a training week. I am grateful to still have 17 weeks until the marathon, so I can start seriously running this week and build up my mileage again. Despite being thrown off in the first week, I am at least giving myself a longer break to heal from my previous tightness and soreness. Also, judging from Chicago weather lately, this summer is going to be a challenge. I have to get used to running in warmer, more humid weather or running earlier in the morning. Somehow I was left with only a couple pairs of running shorts after my recent decluttering, so I bought a cute summer running outfit (for 30 percent off!) at Target that I’m sure will help with my motivation and comfort during the season. Wish me luck!
What are your summer fitness goals?
Shop the above photo (and similar items):
*This post contains affiliate links.