** This post contains affiliate links.
December had highs and lows, and so will this post about products I’ve been using. I like to focus on the positive, so I will start with the products I loved in the last month of 2016 before getting into a product that let me down. My December favorites are my new running shoes, a new nail polish from Kathleen Lights, my new pajamas (an adorable onesie!) and an amazing camera lens. My disappointing product was a high-end concealer I’ve been using for two months now.
First, the favorites:
- Brooks Adrenaline GTS 17 in purple. Graham gave these to me as an early Christmas gift and to motivate me to run my virtual half-marathon. They come in my favorite color and sort of a cosmic color scheme. I have long been a Brooks fan. I find that their shoes, the adrenaline specifically, give me the right amount of support. Even when I let experts suggest shoes for me they pick the Adrenaline for me. It’s meant to be.
- KL polish in Gumption (blue). Youtube made me buy it! I was looking for a cruelty-free polish, so when I saw Kathleen Lights came out with her own line, I bought two colors immediately. I have been wearing Gumption nonstop since early December. I find that normally nail polish chips on me on the first day, but this polish last me at least a couple of days before chipping, which is an eternity for me. This is without applying a base or top coat for testing purposes. I was impressed. I have not yet tried the other shade I purchased, Snickerdoodle, but I will share my thoughts when I do. I also like the applicator brush. It’s wide enough to cover your whole nail, which makes applying the polish a breeze. I should mention that in a recent video Kathleen says she tweaked the formula for future releases, so the polish will be “a hair” thinner.
- Nite Nite Munki Munki Women’s Union Suit Pancake Stacks Print onesie. I bought this for myself to spend the holidays in, and I’ve been living in it since. It’s super comfortable, and flattering, which is weird to say for a pancake onesie. I love the cute print. It’s perfect for Sunday brunch at home.
- Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Lens. This was another gift from Graham. He is supportive of my interest in photography and wanted to get me another good lens. I absolutely love this lens. It makes shooting in low light situations a lot easier. I find that it takes quality images that I have been posting on my social media channels and blog since. You do need to move your feet more to frame your image, but I love the images I have taken with this. I still need practice in using it to avoid non-focused images. (See the image of the Born This Way concealer below for an example.)
My disappointing product:
- Too Faced Born This Way Concealer. This creased on my every time, no matter what I did. And it didn’t last long at all. It also didn’t cover as much as I’d like. Even more disappointing was that the packaging — which I adore — came apart and spilled some of it all over my makeup bag. I continued to use it because it was about $30 so I didn’t want to just waste it. If you’ve had a positive experience with it I’d love to hear about it.