As much I love to use $6 to $8 bath bombs and natural masks as part of my self-care, I realize I and others don’t always have the money to spend on these items. You can still practice self-care for little to no money. That’s because self-care isn’t about buying something to make yourself feel better (unless I guess that’s what works for you?), it’s about taking time for yourself and allowing yourself to recharge and relax. I’m sharing ways to practice free or low-cost self-care in hopes of inspiring you to find what works for you. Let me know in the comments how you take care of yourself, too!
Self-care methods that don’t cost a penny
- Take a hot or warm shower, or soak in the bath without bombs or bubbles. I find it’s just as relaxing.
- Stretch or take a free online yoga class. Look for free community yoga classes in your area.
- Go for a walk or a run. Look for free fitness classes in your city.
- Spend time with your pet. Take your dog to the park or dog beach, for example. Seeing all those cute pups will make your heart happy.
- Listen to your favorite music. Create a playlist of your jams.
- Watch your favorite movie(s). Chances are you have a Netflix, Hulu or Prime account or you might even own the film.
- Meditate or pray.
- Journal your thoughts, dreams and goals.
- Declutter parts of your home that are stressing you out.
- Wear your favorite outfit and shoes.
- Organize your workspace to be more calming and functional.
- Spend time outside. Water your plants, if you have any.
- Volunteer for a cause you care about.
- Call a friend or family member whom you haven’t spoken to in a while.
- Delete people on social media that inspire negative feelings. (But then journal what it is they are triggering.)
- Make fun plans for a future activity or trip. Jot down a gameplan to save for it.
- Look through old photos from trips, parties or holidays.
- Read a book. Self-improvement books are my favorite and you can check them out at the library or borrow one from a friend. Used bookstores have low-cost options, too.
- Ask for help. Whether you need someone to watch your pet or child while you tackle something, or you want a listening ear, ask for it.
What would you add to this list?