** This post contains affiliate links. I am compensated for purchases made through this link at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting Floradise!
Whether it’s because I could not find anyone available to go with me or because I wanted to go alone, I have done many things by myself throughout the years. One example was this week when I attended Michelle Obama’s Becoming book tour kickoff in Chicago on a solo night out. I originally asked a friend to go with me, but I wasn’t able to find two tickets together and decided to just go for it when a single ticket popped up in my search results. I asked on my Instagram stories whether my friends would go to a big event or concert on their own as well, and I found that more than a third of respondents said they would not. I get it, but I want to share reasons why doing activities alone is good for you, in my opinion.
Activities I have done alone:
- John Legend concert
- Dabble.co classes
- Baseball games
- Major public events, like the Arizona Centennial celebration
- Traveled to a new city
Reasons to do things alone:
- You’re not really alone. I was in a stadium of thousands of mostly women who clearly had common interests as me. Just because you don’t personally know them doesn’t mean there isn’t a great deal of love and respect in the room. I could feel it and see it in all the smiling faces.
- You can make friends.
- Growth happens when you’re uncomfortable.
- You can avoid distractions. Oftentimes when we are with friends we are so wrapped up in conversation that we miss some of what is happening. When you are alone you observe things you might have missed.
- You can spend time with your thoughts.
- Attend on your own terms. Leave whenever you want. Eat wherever you want beforehand. You get to decide without compromise.
Do you enjoy doing things alone? Of course, spending time with friends and family doing activities you enjoy is also fun, but if you haven’t already, I encourage you to break out on your own once in a while. You might learn something new about yourself.