I’ve been compiling Day of Service events in the Chicago area in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, which is Jan. 20 this year. In the past volunteering or giving has been important to me on this day. I hope to be able to find childcare or bring my girls to an event this year. If you live in the Chicago area and are looking for ways to give your time, consider these events.
Day of Service events in Chicago:
- Serve with City Year Chicago: According to the website, volunteers will “transform and beautify Robert Nathaniel Dett Elementary School with murals, painting, and light construction projects in an effort to reconnect, transform, uplift, and inspire the students, staff, and community.” Must be 13 or older and those 13-17 must be accompanied by a guardian.
- Build Chicago: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Jan. 20. Participate in various service projects. The event also features food, games, a youth performance, art projects, and more.
- Loyola University Chicago projects: Jan. 20-24 at various times. Participate in different projects, including at a pantry or sorting medical supplies.
- UIC events: UIC lists opportunities to volunteer on its website, including shelf building at a church and sorting equipment.
- Cradles to Crayons Chicago MLK Day 2020 Collection Drive: Cradles to Crayons Chicago is organizing a lcollection drive and volunteer events across Chicagoland. This event will collect a variety of children’s items, including but not limited to backpacks, school supplies, and books. Includes more than 20 pop-up collection spots throughout the Chicagoland area.
- MLK Day of Service Meal Pack in Schaumburg, IL: 6-7:30 p.m. Jan. 20. Packaging meals to send to partners around the world.
- MLK Day of Service Natural Area Restoration Workday in Crest Hill, IL: 8 a.m.-noon Jan. 20. Volunteers will be restoring the natural area that currently is non-native brush to a open prairie near a wetland.
- Volunteer Center, all ages: Drop in anytime from 1-4 p.m. Jan. 20 to help in various activities like making cards for veterans or toys for dogs. 620 Lincoln Ave. in Winnetka.
You can search for more volunteer events on AllForGood.org. Do you have any organizations you love to volunteer with?