Every summer that I’ve lived in Chicago I create a summer bucket list of things I want to do during the season. This year I am simplifying the process by sticking to just my favorite things to do in the city instead of trying to do everything. Completing my check list will be a bit more challenging with two kids, but I’m up for the task!
My favorite things to do in Chicago:
- Standup paddleboarding: I have really enjoyed trying SUP as a way to get a workout and see the city from a different viewpoint. It’s also a nice way to get away if you think about it: everyone’s on the beach and you get some of the lake to yourself while on the water.
- Kayaking on Chicago River: Graham and I had a memorable date night on a sunset river kayaking tour and I hope to find the time to try this again.
- Baseball game at Wrigley Field: No summer is complete without baseball! (You can sub a White Sox game if that’s your jam, I guess.)
- Architecture tour: The evening architecture tour on the Chicago River doesn’t get old. I like to do this whenever we have visitors.
- Sunset cruise: Graham and I have done this cruise on Lake Michigan every summer. We love the views.
- Running on the lakefront path: I want to train for the Chicago Half in the fall, and I miss the trail! I plan to sign up for group training again.
- Brunch (bonus points for a rooftop!): Sure, you can have brunch any time of year, but it’s the best and most fun during the summer when you can sit on the patio with your mimosa(s) in hand.
What would you add to this list? Have you visited Chicago during the summer? What was your favorite thing to do?
Marette Flora is the founder of Floradise blog and personalized gift shop. Marette is a passionate storyteller and creator. She attended the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University and obtained a bachelor’s degree in journalism and mass communication.
She is passionate about creating helpful and meaningful things.