Evaluate your last five purchases.
1. Replacement lens cap. I have now lost the caps to both my camera lenses. This is why I can’t have nice things. I bought a new one to prevent scratches.
2. Dinner at Quartino. I wanted to get dinner with a friend who was in Chicago for the weekend. The purchase is in line with my preference to spend money on experiences and not things.
3. Autographed Johnnyswim poster. After their amazing show at the Space in Evanston, I wanted to support them in some way. I’m hanging the poster in my office, which needs more art.
4. CTA train tickets. It was either spend $30 or more for parking in the Loop during Lollapalooza weekend or take the train. I have been riding the train a lot this past week and a half.
5. Starbucks. This is where I need to cut back. Starbucks recently cut my favorite drink, so I have no reason to go there so much.
Learn to enjoy solitude. Go for a walk and practice mindfulness. Both done. I have always enjoyed solitude and I am alone quite a bit. It’s an introvert’s dream.
Go bare-faced. I actually do this all the time. It’s one of the perks of working from home.
Marette Flora is the founder of Floradise blog and personalized gift shop. Marette is a passionate storyteller and creator. She attended the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University and obtained a bachelor’s degree in journalism and mass communication.
She is passionate about creating helpful and meaningful things.