My baby registries were minimal compared with those I have seen others make. Nonetheless, I ended up not needing everything I registered for. I’m still grateful for everything I was given and for the gift cards used to buy my baby items, but I could have done without some of them because they ended up not being used as much as I’d hoped. All babies are different, though, and what didn’t work for us could work quite well for others. My point is that for some baby items you can wait until the baby is born to find out whether you need them. If you want to be more minimalist, you could choose not purchase them (or register for them) at all since you can always change your mind later. And you might save some cash!
Baby Items We Didn’t Need:
- Pacifiers. A never took one. I waited until she was a month old (at least) to offer one to her and she was never interested. She has only used one a couple of times, and that was during our flights to and from Phoenix. I’m shocked she even took a pacifier then, but I’m glad she did to help with her ear pressure discomfort.
- Nursing cover. I have only used this once for actually nursing in public. It turned out I could most often use a nursing room or another private room to nurse. I have also nursed in my car in desperate times. Other times I have have just pumped before going out in public and have given her a bottle. She luckily has always taken a bottle, but I know some babies do not. I still carry the cover with me in my bag at all times, but I have used it for covering her up in her car seat more than nursing.
- Rocker. This was the biggest waste of money. She only used it in the beginning, and even then she didn’t like it that much.
- Booties and mittens. These fall off and get lost. I have never really used the mittens. The booties I use sometimes, but it’s easier to just get footed bottoms or pajamas. I won’t say they are a total waste, but you don’t need to get a bunch. Unless you want to, of course!
- Milk storage bags. I had high hopes of storing lots of breast milk for a rainy day. I have only been able to save about two weeks’ worth of milk, but then a growth spurt happened and I went right through it. I have since not been able to store any. I pump just enough to feed her for the day.
Also, an item I am glad I didn’t register for or purchase: a wipe warmer. I thought I would need one, but I didn’t know which one to get so I ended up waiting. Guess what? We managed just fine without one. Our baby didn’t get more upset during the night changings.
Take this post with a grain of salt, because all babies need different things. If you want to purchase something, by all means do so! Was there a baby item you ended up not needing? Let me know in the comments!
Pin this post: