Graham and I looooove Johnnyswim. The husband and wife duo have incredible voices and are such talented songwriters. Their song “Take the World” was our first dance song at our wedding, and we listen to their music all the time.
I bought tickets for last Friday’s show months ago and we’ve been anticipating the show ever since. They played a sold out show at the Vic Theatre in Chicago, a gorgeous venue. The best moments:
- Johnnyswim’s openers were so fun! Striking Matches are a duo from Nashville that were energetic and played so well!
- Abner and Amanda always go into the audience for at least a song.
- Johnnyswim mix up their songs, transitioning into the next so perfectly and never being dull.
Tickets for the show were mostly general admission for about $34. You could also buy VIP passes to get into the theater earlier and meet them before the show. We skipped those because we met them in the past (for free) after a show, but I found myself wishing we had purchased them the night of the show. The Vic Theatre is set up so that each little section of the main floor is raised a little higher than the one in front of it, so if you’re short you can still see if you try to stand close to the railing. That’s what I did and I had a perfect view!
We take everything opportunity to see them live, and I’m sharing why you should see them play live before they get even bigger:
- Their music is damn good.
- They sound even better in person.
- They involve the audience in the show.
- They typically perform in intimate settings.
- Tickets are affordable; prices don’t do them justice.
- They sometimes bring their adorable son Joaquin or good friends (like Steph Curry) onstage.
My favorite Johnnyswim songs:
- “Take the World”
- “Heart Beats”
- “Don’t Let It Get You Down”
- “Summertime Romance”
- “You and I”
- “Live While We’re Younger”