I’m now eight weeks postpartum and I’ve finally been cleared to work out. I am feeling back to normal for the most part and I’m ready to get back to running after months off! I’m sharing my postpartum fitness goals in hopes of finding others who are going through the same phase of life or who are also looking to get back in shape or improve their health and well-being. I plan to post weekly recaps of my half-marathon training when I officially begin later this month; watch out for those, especially if you need motivation to find time for working out. I am a mom of two now so it will be challenging to make the time for fitness and I’m sure that will come up in my recaps. I’ll share any tips I learn along the way!
My Postpartum Fitness Goals:
- Running: My goal is to train for and run the Chicago Half Marathon in September. I haven’t run a race since the Chicago Marathon in 2016, so I can’t wait to get back out there! I plan to sign up for group training as I did in the past. My goal is to finish the race in whatever way it takes, meaning walking as much as I need to. I don’t have a time goal this time around.
- Weight: As of last week I was 3 pounds below my pre-baby weight thanks to breastfeeding, so I don’t feel like I need to drop more weight, but I’ll take it if it means I feel more toned and stronger. Right now I don’t feel either way.
- Yoga: My goal is to get back to practicing regularly after some time off. I hope to also make it to two classes in a studio a month. (I can practice as much as I want at home because I am trained as a yoga teacher.)
- Meals: I tracked my food intake throughout most of my pregnancy but I have gotten off track over the past few months. I want to get back to reviewing what I am eating and making sure I eat enough protein!
- Family: I want to incorporate the kids into my fitness routine as much as possible by pushing them in the running stroller or practicing yoga at home with V. We also go on family walks sometimes and I want to continue that.
Are you working toward a fitness goal? Share yours in the comments so we can hold each other accountable and encourage one another!
Marette Flora is the founder of Floradise blog and personalized gift shop. Marette is a passionate storyteller and creator. She attended the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University and obtained a bachelor’s degree in journalism and mass communication.
She is passionate about creating helpful and meaningful things.