Years ago I wrote a blog post about the thoughts that ran through my head as I completed my first Orangetheory Fitness class. I quit Orangetheory in 2017 when I was pregnant — or sometime around then — and didn’t rejoin until July 2023. What brought me back to OTF? I am currently training for the Chicago Marathon, and I knew I needed a push to train harder than I would on my own. I have been slacking with training, and Orangetheory helped me train for the 2016 Chicago Marathon. Needless to say, I had a lot of thoughts. Here are my thoughts on rejoining Orangetheory Fitness.
In no particular order:
- Why is it so cold in this studio?
- Oh, so now the heart-rate monitors go around your bicep, not around your chest. That’s cool and all, but I hate that I had to buy a new one.
- I like that they ask you where you want to start — rower, treadmill or strider — instead of forcing members to race in for their preferred spot. I also like that you’re assigned a number and you stick with that number throughout class.
- Has the music always been this loud? I guess it’s good I can’t hear my own thoughts.
- Why are all of these songs about sex? Every song on this playlist is from my high school days. I should not have been listening to this.
- Fitness coaches always have *that* voice.
- I wonder if the coach will notice if I don’t raise my incline this time.
- Of course I am in the red the whole time.
- TBH I don’t care about splat points.
- When can I go again?!
Are you an Orangetheory member?
Marette Flora is the founder of Floradise blog and personalized gift shop. Marette is a passionate storyteller and creator. She attended the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University and obtained a bachelor’s degree in journalism and mass communication.
She is passionate about creating helpful and meaningful things.