Graham and I set an intention every year, and every year we have been amazed by how it comes true. 2015 was the year of adventure. 2016 was the year of growth. And now 2017 will be about health and success. Our version of success is to be business owners and work for ourselves. We’ve already made headway: Step 1 was paying off nearly all of our debt in 2016. I am grateful and proud that we accomplished that. Step 2 is to make the necessary investments and build up our wealth. It’s scary. It’s exciting. It will probably take some time, but if we go for it, we could be living our dream in early 2018 — or sooner! Of course, to get there we need to make small steps to better ourselves. Breaking down that intention further, here are my 2017 goals:
- Run a marathon. I missed the lottery for the 2017 Chicago Marathon, so I will wait to see which marathon seems like the best option. I would love to cheer for the Chicago runners or volunteer, though.
- Build up our savings for both emergency funds and a long-awaited international trip we’d like to take.
- Make investments into our future business.
- Go on an international trip as well as several trips out of state (road trips, visiting family and more). I’m thinking Orlando, Minneapolis, New York City and Seattle.
- Take video editing and photography classes.
- Volunteer at least once every quarter.
Whenever I set new goals I like to look back at what I have just accomplished. 2016 was the year of growth, and we certainly did that in every aspect of our lives. Graham and I progressed in our skills, we added a little one to our household and we each accomplished personal goals.
- We traveled to Costa Rica, New Orleans and Michigan, and we visited family in Phoenix and Louisville several times.
- I ran the Chicago Marathon.
- We watched the Cubs’ journey to the World Series and rode in the victory parade!
- We brought Victoria home.
- We celebrated our second anniversary.
- I was promoted at my full-time job!
Top beauty posts of 2016:
Books to motivate you in 2017**:
- You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
- Year of Yes: How to Dance it Out, Stand in the Sun and Be Your Own Person
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
- The Universe Has Your Back: Transform Fear to Faith
Tips to set your 2017 goals:
Create lists of what motivates you, want you desire out of life, etc.
Write down words that describe your priorities. Ideas: Friendship, love, money, music, strength, confidence, generosity, admiration, nature, laughter, comfort, travel, family. Identify the areas that are most important and use them to guide your goals.
Write down what you want to achieve. If it helps, break the goals down into categories for different parts of your life. (Career, health, personal, etc.)
Ask yourself why you want to achieve a certain goal? What’s the underlying desire?
What resources can you list to help you achieve your goal? (Trainer, friends, books, classes, etc.) Write them down.
What investments (of time or money or anything else) do you need to make? Identify them.
Try to find a middle ground between setting too easy of a goal and too unattainable.
Leave fear out of the goal-setting process. It has no place in it.
Leave judgment out of goal-setting. You might be worried about what people think. Put your own thoughts of why you want to achieve the goal above all other opinions.
Do you have a goal that you think it’s too late for? Repeat this: It’s not too late! Write down reasons and ways it can still be achieved.
“If we wait until we’re ready, we’ll be waiting for the rest of our lives.” -Lemony Snicket
Celebrate your successes and don’t beat yourself up about the failures. Try again. Adjust in areas where you didn’t hit your shorter-term goals, but keep working toward them.
When you’re feeling discouraged, think about times in your life that you overcame an obstacle. You can do this!
Favorites for Fitness in 2017**
If, like me, you have fitness goals in 2017, you might be thinking about investing in workout attire. I’ve had my eye on new fitness gear in the hopes Santa would bring me some for Christmas. While he did bring me some amazing gifts, workout clothing was not one of them. I’m instead putting these on my upcoming birthday wish list:
C9 Champion Sweater Fleece Top in Vivid Violet
What are your goals for 2017? Share them with me in the comments, and thank you for supporting Floradise blog!
Marette Flora is the founder of Floradise blog and personalized gift shop. Marette is a passionate storyteller and creator. She attended the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University and obtained a bachelor’s degree in journalism and mass communication.
She is passionate about creating helpful and meaningful things.