It’s tough to get all my steps in as a work-from-home editor. I have found ways to force myself to walk around more and get some exercise, otherwise my Garmin will yell at me — or vibrate and say “Move!” I don’t always hit the 10,000 steps a day mark, but these little steps go a long way:
- Take the dogs for an extra walk around the block. I take my dogs one at a time for two reasons: 1. I get even more steps in. 2. They are a little too much for me to handle together.
- Sweep or vacuum. I have to do this often because, as No. 1 mentions, I have two dogs.
- When I have a break between tasks, I will walk into another room and do a round of exercises. These can be crunches, handstand practice, jumping jacks, pushups or yoga poses.
- Find any reason to take the stairs. Take out the trash, check the mail, whatever.
- Go for a walk or run during my lunch break.
- Eat lunch away from my desk. It’s not much of a walk, but every step counts.
- Switch up my work space. I walk to a different room or go to Starbucks or another coffee shop to work. Again, every step counts.
- Run errands or go to yoga at the studio before or after work. I walk whenever I can.
Marette Flora is the founder of Floradise blog and personalized gift shop. Marette is a passionate storyteller and creator. She attended the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University and obtained a bachelor’s degree in journalism and mass communication.
She is passionate about creating helpful and meaningful things.