** This post contains affiliate links. I make a small commission on purchases made through these links at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting Floradise!
Graham and I purchased a DJI Mavic Pro drone last summer in hopes of offering more and better content on my blog and YouTube channel. Along the way we’ve had many positive — and one negative — experience while flying the drone, so I wanted to share some of what we’ve learned and pose questions to ask yourself before buying a drone.
The most significant aspect of owning a drone that I want to emphasize is drone etiquette (and laws), like not operating a drone over people and private property. There’s a lot more to know, but the key theme is respecting others and not ruining anyone’s enjoyment of a space. It’s actually a two-way street, though, so those around a drone flyer also should be considerate of their right to fly when done respectfully and lawfully.
Questions to ask yourself before buying a drone:
- Some people will be uncomfortable or annoyed when a drone is flown anywhere near them. Some people will be intrigued and will come over and ask questions. Are you OK with both? How would you handle both situations?
- Are you willing and able to take the time to learn how to safely fly the drone? It can take quite a bit of time to get used to operating a drone. You must learn to constantly be aware of your surroundings and respond quickly.
- You must know if it is legal and safe to fly the drone wherever you are. Read the local laws regarding drones. Are you willing to take the time to learn all the rules?
- How often you will be able to use the drone? Drones can be expensive. It is worth the cost to you? (You might want to add the drone to your insurance policy if not already covered.)
- What are your goals? Do you want to share drone footage on social media? Are you hoping to turn it into a side hustle? Find your why.
- Are you willing to transport the drone and its accessories, which can be quite bulky, when traveling?
Once you establish that you want to buy a drone and know your budget, you’ll learn that flying one is incredibly thrilling and the footage is amazing. It opens up a whole new world!
Would you ever consider buying a drone?
Our Drone Baby Gender Reveal
Testing the Drone at Warren Dunes State Park, Michigan
Shop DJI Mavic Pro Drone**
Watch our Hawaii drone/GoPro video: