This scary time makes self-care all the more important. I’ve been trying to keep my anxiety down as much as possible by remembering to take care of myself when I can. The number 1 thing I think that helps is to adjust my expectations. It’s not necessary to try to be productive or have it all together right now. We’re doing the best we can, and that’s enough. Some days are harder than others. Some days are emotional. But I’m trying to focus on the good and what I can control in the situation. I’m sharing some of the ways I’ve been keeping my spirits up during the pandemic when I’m feeling defeated, fearful or stressed.
- Reading for fun, not necessarily self-improvement.
- Meditating. Some days I meditate more than once to calm my nerves or help me fall asleep. Some days meditation works well for me and sometimes it’s doesn’t work.
- Talking to friends and family. It’s more important than ever to check on each other. Try to keep things light to lift your mood.
- Listening to music/dancing. We’ve had several dance parties. On one day we introduced the girls to NSync and they enjoyed dancing to their songs.
- Working out. I’ve done short workouts (15 minutes-30 minutes) to relieve some anxiety and make me feel less sluggish. I don’t put pressure on myself to do this all the time though.
- Giving. I am looking for ways to help every single day, whether by donating or spreading awareness.
- Writing. I’m keeping a gratitude journal, which I have done since November, but it’s more important now. I also want to blog more about life right now to document this surreal time.
- Watching funny shows or Tiktoks. Laughing is important.
- Sleeping. I feel more exhausted than ever, so I have been taking every opportunity to nap.
- Taking care of myself.
- Not comparing myself to how others are coping with everything.
How are you holding up? What has worked for you to keep your spirits up?